Friday, June 20, 2008

July is the time when lakhs of students take their first steps out of school and into college life. For some, the first few days in college leave a permanent scar on their psyche.

How to deal with ragging

For some, it can be a harrowing experience to be ragged in college. The severity of ragging varies from frivolous play to verbal harassment, sexual abuse and physical torture. It is hard to understand how students, who are otherwise academically-bright and appear to be normal, can be insensitive towards their peers who have gained admission in their college as their fellow-students. Ragging is deemed essential to break ice between ‘seniors’ and ‘freshers’. What is needed is that more friendly ways of interaction be devised by the college authorities themselves, so that the very reason why ragging happens, is rooted out.

Punitive steps can also be a deterrent. As far as the law is concerned, the Supreme Court of India has appointed a committee to recommend how ragging can be curbed. The points made by the Committee, if implemented in full spirit, can go a long way towards preventing the scarring of thousands of young and sensitive people, who suffer at the hands of their peers.


What is the Raghavan Committee?

A six member committee headed by Dr R.K. Raghavan, Former Director, CBI, was constituted by the Supreme Court of India in November 2006. The committee members travelled to different cities across the country and held discussions with students, college faculties, civil society organisations, psychological experts, officials from various educational councils, etc. and submitted its detailed report in Supreme Court on May 16th, 2007. Some of the key findings of the Raghavan Committee were:
  • Primary responsibility for curbing ragging rests with academic institutions themselves.
  • Ragging adversely impacts the standards of higher education.
  • Incentives should be available to institutions for curbing the menace and there should be disincentives for failure to do so.
  • Enrolment in academic pursuits or a campus life should not immunize any adult citizen from penal provisions of the laws of the land.
  • Ragging needs to be perceived as failure to inculcate human values from the schooling stage.
  • Behavioural patterns among students, particularly potential 'raggers', need to be identified
  • Measures against ragging must deter its recurrence. Concerted action is required at the level of the school, higher educational institution, district administration, university, State and Central Governments to make any curb effective.

Ragging: How to curb it

College authorities must make effort to sensitise both seniors and freshers on ragging. They must undertake various activities such as games, dramas, short excursions to facilitate interaction between senior and junior students.

  • College authorities must conduct anonymous survey of freshers to know if ragging is going on in their institute.
  • Worst form of ragging takes place in the college hostels during the night therefore college authorities must conduct surprise checks in their hostels during the night.
  • In case of any incident of ragging victim must try to take the teacher into confidence and apprise him/her of the incident.
  • Parents of fresher/senior students must form a small group and remain in touch with each other on phone or email.
  • This would help them share information on the situation of ragging in college and the involvement of their wards in it.
  • Education Ministry at the Central and the State level must conduct various awareness programmes to make ragging a social evil.

Don’ts

  • During the initial days in the college, freshers must try to be in groups and avoid places like canteens or hostels of the senior students.
  • College must take each ragging complaint seriously and should not ignore or avoid cases even of mild ragging.
  • It is commonly seen that college authorities try to save the reputation of the college and deny cases of ragging. In case of any serious incident of ragging, college shouldn’t hesitate in registering complaint with the police.
  • Seniors should not do anything, which could make their juniors uncomfortable.

3 comments :

Unknown said...

sir, I am a very aware customer I always try to fight against the companies which are non-consumer friendly and always try to fetch money from consumer pocket.but I want to know why how much money is being waisted on so many ads. JAGO GRAHAK JAGO. what you do against those, when consumer awakes, what will consumer do after awakening.he is totally helpless but to increase his blood pressure.I am giving you some example in which I am 100% true on my stand but in such cases company say "it is their policy" why their policy is against consumer and why any action is not taken against them ,why such policy differ company to company I am discussing about my following complaints complaint ID 4142 dated 19/07/2008 and ID NO. 6145 dated 15/09/2008.My both complaints are not individual but still company says that it is their policy .I want to know why they are free to make such policy, they make best use of consumer' s time because I have no time to fight against them for my Rs 525 ,but I aware you about that but your system is totally failed then, why you encourage us to awake and why so much money is waisted on different ads. Now I want to draw your kind attention towards FMCG companies . For example when we go to retailer to purchase any soap,paste,shampoo etc. we (including you) notice some changes in its weight,.but shopkeeper says SAHAB COMPANY KI MARJI AAP AUR HUM KYA KAR SAKTE HAI INKO KOI KUCH KAHNE WALA NAHIN HAI YE 400 gm. KA 388 gm. KARDE YA 340 gm. KAR DE. In fact HUM AUR WO KUCH NAHIN KAR SAKTE but AAP SAB KUCH KAR SAKTE PAR NAHIN KARTE , however these companies make a large propeganda when they give extra weight or quantity.Then, why ask us to do through Media what we will do for Rs two or three only.I FEEL VERY SORRY TO WRITE SUCH BUT I AM VERY MUCH HURT ED with such type of activity.I am giving you some more example of this kind.Once I was in a leading garment store KOUTANS' .I was in Que for billing, a person who was before me made the payment for a jacket purchased ,as he made payment ,he noticed that the zip of jacket not working, he showed it at billing counter and he was asked to exchange it ,but he was very unhappy and he asked he doesn't want to wear the cloth of such third class company in future which have such quality control ,so he demanded his money back, but manager clearly refused that this is not company's POLICY.Dear sir, now I want to know that where is consumer at fault ,he tried to awake but he forced to sleep or close his eye but company's POLICY doesn't let the consumer to awake,therefore there is no need to say "JAGO GRAHAK JAGO" and to spend so much money on ads. In India there is need to study the policies of companies first either these are consumer friendly and then educate the consumer to awake before the company's top level officer instead of pursuing from lower .Last year I made many request to LG CUSTOMER CARE to get my A.C.serviced in warranty period but no body hear ed my problem ,then I mailed in LG KOREA OFFICE .On the very next day I was busy to receive calls from LG. Last year I forbade at least 30 people to purchase LG products There are so many example with me in cases I approached to top level and succeeded to won the battle.Still neverthless there is need to ch eke the company's policies and then to spend money on ads. On last year in Nov.2007,I purchased TATA-INDICOM PREPAID MOBILE under their scratch & win scheme,in which I won Philph DVD player ,after a long effort I could not get my gift,then I sent a mail in TATA CORPORATE OFFICE instead of sending to Tataindicom Delhi office, on the very next day I received my gift at my home which was not in stock for the long period.Again I request you to examine the policies of companies because when we buy any product or take services ( like mobile connection or any other service),we see a long list of like this " company has right to------------.company has right to--------- so on, we never see in such list " consumer has right to----. in between so narrow lines which can't be read easily.In large hoardings the matter of ads. is so big and on the bottom a very small world is written "condition apply". It should be changed by authorities then we should say JAGO GRAHAK JAGO. WE HAVE PROPER ARRANGEMENT FOR YOU. THANKING YOU ,I WILL WRITE YOU AGAIN IF YOU WILL GIVE ME SOME RESPONSE YASH KHURANA A-27,SECTOR-27 NOIDA 9350992990(M) 01203241167(R) 01203247722(O)

Unknown said...

Dear Sir/ Madam,
I have been a long standing customer of Vodafone Mobile. However the situation below has provoked me to rethink about consumer awareness and ill treatment by mobile service providers in this county. Please find below history of events.
1. I received mobile bill for Feb 18, 2009 to March 18, 2009 which I had to make before April 3, 2009 ( Due date)
2. As I have been doing for the past 4 years I paid the bill amounting Rs. 840 by online HDFC Billpay on April 1, 2009. As you know it gets credited online immediately.
3. Inspite of my bill payment being made in time I received more than 11 calls from Vodafone Customer Care for not receiving payments. Each time I had patiently given them details of my bill payment and also conveyed to them the transaction details viz. online bill pay record, Date of payment and amount.
4. Even after this almost every second day I was hounded by customer care for bill payment details again and again.
5. To stop this harassment, I requested the customer care executive on April 17, 2009 to give me the official email id where I could mail them a screenshot of my online account statement showing proof of the payment. Find attached the mail sent to the customercare email id. I also called up HDFC bank and they re-affirmed the payment was debited from my account and paid to Vodafone.
6. In spite of this my mobile phone outgoing calls was barred from April 22, 2009. When I called up Vodafone customercare he asked me to physically take the bank account statement, visit a Vodafone Store and show proof of payment to them so that the services will be activated in 24 hours. Being a CEO of a technology company and not having the time to go out of the way in proving my payment, I requested to talk to the Nodal officer concerned so that I could have this resolved.
7. The customercare executive reluctantly gave me the Phone no of the Nodal officer. On asking for his name, he refused to give his/ her name. I really don’t know why this is supposed to be a Vodafone top secret. Nodal officer’s no: 9765561000
8. On April 23, 2009 I called up the Vodafone nodal officer no. After more than 15 rings and a long wait a female answered the call , when I asked her if she was the nodal officer she denied it and straight away asked me to give the complaint. After coaxing her and telling her I will take legal action she gave me the nodal officer’s name : Mr. Krishnamurthy. I patiently explained her the inconvenience and incessant harassment caused. She told me that she will call me and resolve this issue in an hour. Nothing happened after that. It was then that I called you and gave you the Nodal officer’s no. In the evening when I called up the Nodal officer a so-called person with bad English answered my call after a patient wait. On asking for his name he informed me he was the security guard named Mr. Waghmode. Wow , imagine calling up a nodal officer’s mobile no of a MNC company to be answered by his security guard. I left a message with him with my name and alternate contact no. No call received till date.
9. When I called up customercare again yesterday afternoon informing them that I had sent proof of payment. Sanjeev the customer care executive verified the email address given to me earlier and informed me that the email address given previously by another customer care exec on April 17 was @vodafone.com and not Vodafone.in, another goof up of customercare. I promptly forwarded the same to the corrected email id given. Find attached auto responder mail from Vodafone confirming receipt of the mail, 24 hours over , yet no action taken.
10. The question is why am I writing this mail wasting my precious time ? Why am I being harassed for having paid my bill in time, informing the company the details and even after 22 days a MNC company like Vodafone doesn’t have the right mechanism to assure realized payments? If we fail to pay our mobile bills in time , as a customer we are penalized with a late payment charge, If the company harasses and make a mistake they face nothing? No financial implication, customer service or responsibility/ commitment? Isn’t it high time we have customer friendly laws to penalize such erring companies and compensate the customer for errors on the service provider/ company’s behalf.
11. Vodafone has a huge advt budget and always portrays itself as a brand which is customer friendly and ready to help? What blatant hypocrisy? As of April 24, 2009 1.15 PM I am still unable to make outgoing calls or send sms. A Vodafone executive called me again asking me for payment details. I informed him that I had repeated the same 14 times in the past and guess what , as I was speaking he hung up the phone. The tel no from which he called is : 020-30438500.

Sir/ Madam it is my humble request that you take up this matter. I am ready to go for a customer redressal or file for legal action against Vodafone. God alone knows how many people in this country are being victimized like I and having to live with it due to huge brand names and absence of customer friendly consumer laws.

Do let me know if you can help me out with this. Await your queries if any.


Warm regards,
Pradeep Natarajan,
Pune 411048

Tapas kumar Mohanty said...

I am a Research Scholar for the PhD
under the subject ragging & human right under Prof.Dr.L.M.Prasad of Ranchi University.as such i need datas & informations.pl. help me.

with regards,


T.K.Mohanty.







th regards,